The Center GENDERS - Gender & Equality in Research and Science è is the first university research Center in Italy on gender in research and science and gender equality in scientific careers. The Centre was created back in 1995 at the Faculty of Political Science with the initial name Centre for Study and Research “Women and Gender Differences” and with the aim of promoting research, training and dissemination in the more general field of gender studies.
In 2006, when the Center became an Interdepartmental structure, a specific section called “Women and Science” was set up. Since then the Center has been very active at the national and European level and has developed a significant and consolidated experience in the field, especially through the participation to important projects such as Universidonna (FSE, 2006-2007) and three 7FP European Projects: PRAGES - Practicing Gender Equality in Science (2008-2009) WHIST - Women's Careers Hitting the target: Gender Management in Scientific and Technological Research (2009-2011) and, currently, STAGES - Structural Transformation to Achieve Gender Equality in Science (Implementation Phase: 2012-2015; Sustainability Phase 2016-2020).
At present, the following Departments are affiliated to the Center:
- Department of Social and Political Sciences;
- Department of Food, Environmental and Nutritional Sciences;
- Department of Italian and Supranational Public Law;
- Department of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences;
- Department of Clinical Sciences and Community Health.
GENDERS promotes conferences, seminars, course and other public events, it offers consultancy services and participates to Italian and European Research Projects. Over time the Centre has increasingly developed a strong focus on multidisciplinary research, gender mainstreaming and the genderisation of the contents and methods of scientific research.
The main expertise and research areas are:
- Women and Science. Research on gender inequalities in scientific careers. Monitoring and evaluation of gender equality intervention in research, innovation and science.
- Equal opportunities, work and organisations.
- Gender medicine. Equity in access to health services.
- Women and political participation.
- Human rights, non-discrimination and intersectionality.
- Gender and Welfare. Public policies and company policies evaluation.
- Gender and Journalism: gender language and stereotypes in media.
- Gender, cooperation and development.