Laboratories and Facilities
Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) with EDX and e-beam lithography microfabrication tool.
Two apparatus for SEM imaging are available:
- JEOL JSM 848.
- JEOL 6400F (FEG-SEM) field emission microscope, equipped with Energy Dispersive X-Ray Spectroscopy (EDX - Oxford) microprobe.
Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM).
Two AFM instruments are available:
- Multimode-Nanoscope IV (Veeco Instruments, USA), equipped with a home-made low-current pre-amplifier for electrical nanometer-scale characterization of samples.
- Bioscope II-Nanoscope V (Veeco Instruments, USA) integrated in an inverted optical microscope for simultaneous AFM and optical characterization of biological samples, including fluorescence microscopy.
Leica TCS SP2 equipped with:
- Acousto-Optical Beam Splitters (AOBS);
- Inverted microscope Leica DMIRE2 HC Fluo TCS 1-B-UV;
- lasers Ar (visible, 4 lines), HeNe (3 lines), UV (2 lines);
- LCS Microlab software per FRET e FRAP and Software Multicolor LCS.
UHV apparatus Leybold LHS 10/12 equipped for:
- X-ray Photoemission Spectroscopy (XPS),
- Ultraviolet Photoemission Spectroscopy (UPS),
- Auger Electron spectroscopy (AES)
- Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS).
Balance: C.I. model Mark 2.
Spectrometer IR Jasco FT/IR-300E.
UV-VIS absorption spectroscopy.
Spectrophotometer UV-VIS. Jasco UV/VIS 7850.
Photoluminescence and Raman spectroscopy.
Home made apparatus with:
- Four excitation sources:
- continuous laser Argon BeamLok series 2065-7S (Spectra Physics): lines 514.5nm/2600mW, 488nm/1900mW, 364nm/250mW, 351nm/250mW;
- continuous laser HeCd IK5352 R-D series (Kimmon): lines 441.6nm/50mW, 325nm/10mW.
- continuous laser He-Ne R-30991 (Newport) 633nm/5mW.
- pulsed: laser Nd:Yag Laser Giant G790-20 (Quanta System).at 532 nm (9ns @ 20Hz max): lines 1064nm (1600mJ/pulse), 532nm (750mJ/pulse), 355nm (400mJ/pulse), 266nm (120mJ/pulse).
- Monochromator (Acton SP-2558-9N, Focal length = 500mm) equipped with three gratings (68x68mm con 300 linee/mm (blazing 500nm), 600 linee/mm (blazing 300nm) e 1200 linee/mm (blazing 500nm).
- CCD Spec10:400B/LN (Roper-Princeton Instrument), liquid nitrogen cooling, back illuminated, 1340x400 pixel, 20x20 ?m pixel, spectral range 200-950 nm, equipped with control unit ST133A con A/D converter da 16 bit a 100KHz e 1MHz.
Fluorimetro Fluorolog-3 (Jobin Yvone) equipped with Xenon lamp and CCD detector.
Cell culture laboratory.
Many facilities for cell growth are available:
- CO2 incubator Galaxy S (RS Biotech);
- Water purification system Elix5® (Millipore);
- Box Biohazard Jupiter 3 (Celbio). Safety box to vertical laminar flow;
- Centrifuge EPPENDORF;
- G-Term 035 Thermostatic Ovens;
- ALFA-10-PLUS Autoclaves;
- Thermostatic bath;
- pH212 Microprocessor pH Meter;
- Axiovert 40 (Zeiss). Inverted microscope for observations in brightfield, phase contrast and fluorescence, complete of system for digital acquisition (Canon). Objectives: CP-“Achromat” 5X/0,12; CP-“Achromat” 10X/0,25 Ph1; “A-Plan” 20X/0,30 LD Ph1; “A-Plan” 40X/0,50 LD Ph2. The microscope is provided of two filters for the fluorescence: filter set 15 green (red fluorescence) and filter set 34 for GFP blue (green fluorescence);
- Axio Imager A1 MAT microscope, Obj.Epiplan 20X/0,40 HD, Obj.Epiplan-neofluar 50X/0,50 HD DIC, dark field reflector, C-DIC reflector.
Home made apparatus for combinatorial deposition approach.
Edwards coating system E306A.
Supersonic cluster beam deposition systems.
Four main deposition apparatus equipped with Pulsed Microplasma Cluster Sources (PMCSs):
- MULAN: devoted to the synthesis of composited films with high deposition rate and large deposition area, equipped with remote controlled manipulator, ion source, two PMCSs producing crossing beams, two deposition chambers;
- CLARONA devoted to the synthesis of transition metal oxide films for biological applications;
- OLD devoted to the transport measurements during cluster assembling process;
- CESYRA devoted to the study with synchrotron radiation of free clusters equipped with two-stages time of flight mass spectrometer (TOF/MS).